Monday 10 January 2011

Opening Sequence Evaluation Activity 1.



In what ways does your media products use, develop, or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?



   These are the nine images I chose to analysis.


The aspects considered in the nine frames:

The title of the film: The film title frame is the bottom frame in the sequence. I made it simple but made the font have an eery look to it. I have used the simple colours black and white. White on a black background to not exaggerate the thriller feel to this film but to just keep the audience's attention to want to find out what happens in the film.

Setting/Location: In each of my frames there is a different location for my film. It starts off with my first frame the victim in my opening is at school which shows an average everyday life of a teenager going to school, and is also a common place for bullying to occur which fits in with my story perfectly. The second frame is the two bullies walking down the street another average setting, very simple but also effective as I made it so that the bullies and victim meet walking towards each other in the street which could easily be done and isn't to far fetched. The next two frames are the victim in her bathroom, which is showing her alienation and depression as she shuts the door which shows she is shutting everything out from her.
The next two frames are the bullies being 'repaid.' The first one is set in the bullies living room, the second one is the bully in his bed at night being haunted. These settings are simple ideas for places to be haunted but also still works to keep the audience's attention as being alone makes the horror all that more effective.

Costumes and Props: The costumes in my film opening are basic everyday clothes that an average everyday teenager would wear. For example school uniform for the school section, a dressing gown when the victim is at home. This gives the film the everyday feel with a slight twist which is where the horror and intensity is involved and fits in with the film. The props used in the film are mainly the pills that are taken by the victim when she kills herself. Props used in these type of films help the audience to understand what is happening and give it a feel as if it is really happening.

Camerawork and editing: I used a range of different shots in my opening. For example in my frames I chose to use a medium close up , long shot, close ups etc. This was to get as much emotion into the opening as possible for example when I did the close ups it was mainly the section when the victim is about to kill herself this is to get across to the audience how devastated she is with what's happening to her at that moment. Using medium close ups gets the body language of the character such as the bullies, I wanted the audience to see their body language when they bully the victim but also their facial expression for their anger.

Title font and style: The title font which I used was a simple font. I didn't want it to exaggerate the horror theme of the opening. Keeping it simple makes it more mysterious to the audience in what happens. I also have a frame where it quotes "1 Week later, karma always finds it's way" The font I used for this stretched out the letters to make them long which I thought looked right for the opening and fitted in well to make it effective.

Story and how the opening sets it up: I have used the shot of the girl victim walking up the stairs in her school, I then have one of the bullies walking out of the door pushing her around, which immediately shows to the audience that the girl in the opening is being bullied which shows this is what my film is going to be mainly about.

Genre and how the opening suggests it: The opening of my film is an average real life setting such as a school which is the setting of my first frame. The opening of my film also has spooky and eery background music to it. This tells the audience that the story has a real life theme to it but at the same time something mysterious happens to it.

How characters are introduced: In the opening of my film I introduce the characters quite quickly to get straight to the point of my film. The first shot introduces the main character, the girl who gets bullied, then shortly after in the second shot it introduces one of the bullies pushing her around. It then goes straight on to another part where the victim has to face the bullies again in a different situation which then introduces the other bully.

Special effects: I do use some special effects in my opening for example in my last frame I chose I have used adobe after effects to show in one of the hauntings that happens in my opening, the bullied girl coming back as a ghost to give the audience more understanding and to make them realise that the girl is haunting them. I also used slow motion which is my 7th and 8th frame I have to show the reactions of the bullies when they are being haunted more clearly it also gives the opening more effect.


No comments:

Post a Comment